Forum Discussion

manatee
Level 6
8 years ago

adding a secondary disk pool/storage unit

NBU 7.7.3

the disks i ordered for NBU server are still held up but some disks arrived for our Hyper-V server. since this Hyper-V server will be take some time to be commissioned, i thought of temporarily using it as another RHEL 6.x server with xfs partition (same as my PureDisk).

I will then have a 4TB partition available to me temporarily. Can I mount this as my second PureDisk, add it to NBU disk pools eventually as a second storage unit? I will mount it remotely to my NBU server.

will NBU use this to store backup images to disk and then use it also for duplication jobs to tape?

• replying to myself. yes doable.

i'll deploy a Windows based media server so it's easier when it comes to drivers of the hard disks. :-)

6 Replies

• replying to myself. yes doable.

i'll deploy a Windows based media server so it's easier when it comes to drivers of the hard disks. :-)

Marianne
      Level 6

I read your opening post and cringed when I saw the word "temporarily"....

You want to add setup another media server, add new server to clients, configure another MSDP pool, another Storage Unit, new SLPs, modify policies "temporarily"? 

Will you also share tape drives for duplication purposes "temporarily"?

Have you read up and document how to decommission media servers and remove MSDP?

Marianne
        Level 6

Please consider following advice in your other post 
        how to manually reclaim dedup space
        rather than standing up a new MSDP media server. "temporarily". (Sorry... couldn't resist.)

You seem to have a number of database clients - Oracle and SQL.
        Have you read up in the Appliance Performance Tuning Guide how database backups should be configured to ensure good dedupe rates? There is a section for each DB type with do's and don'ts to ensure optimum dedupe rates.