Forum Discussion

liuyang
Level 6
11 years ago

AIR NBU server requirements

Hi, I have a question regarding AIR setup. Currently our customer has one master server (Windows Server 2008 R2, NBU 7.5.0.6) in their production site and they plan to setup another one in their DR site. They would like to setup AIR between prod site and DR site.

My question is: should the NBU master and/or media servers in both sites be the same version? Our customer is thinking to use NBU 7.6 in DR site. For prod site, they plan to leave it as NBU 7.5.0.6 first. I would like to know whether it works.Thanks in advance.

• Found it in the 7.6 de-dupe admin guide:

In NetBackup 7.6, Auto Image Replication is supported for the servers that run

version 7.5.0.3 or higher. For lower versions to accept replications from 7.6, an

Emergency Engineering Binary (EEB) for the 7.1 master server is required.

Auto Image Replication is supported between the servers that run versions 7.1.0.x

and 7.5.0.x. An exception occurs in certain versions, in which the replication of

catalog backups may fail.

For more information, refer to the following Technote:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH191964

5 Replies

• I have seen other discussions in this forum when AIR replications started to fail after one of the servers was upgraded to 7.5 and the other was left on 7.1.

I cannot remember any documentation saying that versions need to be the same. 
    You will probably know once you've tried...

• While I have also not seen an offical statment on the compability between 2 versions with AIR, The dedupliucation engine in 7.6 is drastically different then in 7.5 and this could cause issues. 

• AIR should be fine in most circumstances - it is certainly OK from 7.5 to 7.1

I do see in the 7.6 de-dupe admin guide the following:

Replication between the source domain and the target domain must be between
    supported versions of NetBackup. For example, replicating from NetBackup 7.6
    in the source domain to NetBackup 7.0 in the target domain can lead to data
    loss.

This does suggest that 7.5 would be compatible - i will see what i can find

• Found it in the 7.6 de-dupe admin guide:

In NetBackup 7.6, Auto Image Replication is supported for the servers that run

version 7.5.0.3 or higher. For lower versions to accept replications from 7.6, an

Emergency Engineering Binary (EEB) for the 7.1 master server is required.

Auto Image Replication is supported between the servers that run versions 7.1.0.x

and 7.5.0.x. An exception occurs in certain versions, in which the replication of

catalog backups may fail.

For more information, refer to the following Technote:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH191964