Forum Discussion

CraigL
Level 4
13 years ago

Backing up Exchange 2010 DAG - Multiplexing Issue

Hello everyone -

Having an issue with a brand new Exchange 2010 policy that I'm hoping someone out there can shed some light on.  Here is the situation:

The policy runs just fine backing up the entire DAG with multiplexing set at 1, but loads tapes into both drives on the master/media server and writes to both.  This is kind of silly, since all of the data will easily fit into one LTO3 tape.  So, we changed the multiplexing value to 2 in hopes to get everything onto one tape, and many of the child jobs fail with error 25s.

With this being said, we do multiplexing on many other policies without issue, so I'm inclined to think this isn't a network/connectivity issue as what the description for error 25 is.  Well, we know it's not connectivity since the policy works perfectly with multiplexing set to 1.

Vitals on our setup and the policy:

We're running Netbackup v7.1.01 on a common master/media server with Windows 2003 Standard R2 w/ SP2 as the OS.

The policy type is (obviously) MS-Exchange-Server, the Exchange attribute is set to 'Passive copy and if not available the active copy', and the single backup selection is 'Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups:\'.  'Perform snapshot backups' is also checked.  Under the schedule options, 'Media Multiplexing' is set to 1.  Type of backup is Full.

The DAG has two servers (mailbox role only) in it -- both Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise w/ SP1.  Exchange is version 2010 SP2 w/ RU2.

I did open a ticket with Symantec on this issue and unfortunately, was given little assistence.  The person we worked with just said it must be a network problem, but also had to look at the documentation to see what multiplexing even WAS.  Sigh.

This seems like it should be a lay-up to do.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what may be going on here?

Thanks a ton in advance.

-Craig

• Everyone -

I'm happy to share that this issue has been resolved.  The fix, ultimately, was simple:

Port 1556 needed to be opened on the Windows firewall on both of our DAG nodes.  I didn't see in the NBU Exchange Admin guide, but maybe I missed it. :)

A huge thanks goes out to Steve @ Symantec for working through this issue with me!

Hopefully this helps someone else out there!

-Craig

22 Replies