Forum Discussion

acidborn60
Level 4
16 years ago

BMR boot server

Hello!
I have NBU 6.5.2 master server on win2003 x64 and need install BMR boot server on other machine with win 2003 x64. But in x64 distributive i not found option BMR, only x86 distributive have BMR.
I correctly understand - BMR boot server not supported windows x64 system? And if i install BMR boot server on x86 system, It will be correct to work with x64 master server?

5 Replies

• Boot server needs to be of same type as the client you are protecting.
    It has nothing to do with the NetBackup master server type.

If you have NetBackup master server on Winx64, and you have Linux, Solaris, Winx86, Winx64 clients then you need to have 4 boot servers, each running Linux, Solaris, Winx86, Winx64.

The compat list does say Win2003 (Enterprise, not Datacenter) x64 is a supported platform to be a BMR server (from 6.5.2), and it also mentions CDs as a special consideration, so check out if your CD is the right one, or if you need a newer one from Symantec Customer Care team.

Given that it's only supported from 6.5.2, it is also possible that the maintenance pack distribution has the install pkg for BMR server - try this 6.5.2A link, http://support.veritas.com/docs/305654.

Also see Page 25 of the compat list.
    ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/325328.pdf

Cheers,

Abe
  • BMR master server installed with NetBackup master server on win 2003 x64.
    I have other trouble. I not found in distributive for x64 BMR Boot server (distributive not have NBU6.5x64\Addons\BMRBS\) . In x86 distributive this additiona software present.
    Where i find BMR Boot Server for win 2003 x64?
    And sorry, version upgraded to 6.5.3

• Hi there,

I believe X64 is supported from 6.5.4 onwards. So you would need to upgrade there first.

I have this and hope to install/test BMR in X64 in the next few weeks.

• Here i found info: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/325339.htm

quote: A Windows 2003 64-bit Boot Server can support 64 and 32 bit clients. A 32 bit server can only support 32 bit clients.
    Please answer me, where i find distributive BMR BOOT SERVER for win 2003 x64 ???