Forum Discussion

Toddman214
Level 6
10 years ago

CIF as a backup target

Windows 2008r2 Master and Media servers, Isilon storage

Hello again, all.

Im trying something that I never have yet, and am having little luck. Yet, I cant imagine this being a complicated configuration. I need to temporarily send backups to a CIF share that was created for me on an Isilon box and I have full access to the share. My backups usually go to DataDomain disk pools/storage units.

The thing is that im finding article after article on how to back up a CIF share, but not backup data TO a CIF share. I beleive I have to start by creating a storage unit that points to the location to which I want to send the backups, but thats where I'm getting stopped, and pretty sure Im missing steps. Ive named the new stiorage unit, selected disk as the storage unit type, BasicDisk as disk type(??), selected a media server I want it to use, entered the absolute path, but I cannot view the properties of the location. I just get that "Error reading volume information.STS API failed. Status 228", which leads me to believe I'm heading in entirely the wrong direction. Is anyone out there sending backups directly to a CIF share, and can shed some light on this for me? I'll provide whatever information needed about my current setup.

Thank you!!!

Todd 

• Your opening and subsequent posts were for Basic Disk specifically.

Yes. To use SLP, you need Advanced Disk.

You will need to go through the process of adding Storage Server and then add the CIFS share as disk pool.
    Delete existing BasicDisk STU and duplicate and expire backups if any were written to this STU.

See in Chapter 3 of NetBackup AdvancedDisk Storage Solutions Guide  :
    Configuring credentials for CIFS storage and disk storage units

6 Replies

• Using a UNC path to a CIFS share as a Basic Disk storage unit should work just fine.

When you say "but I cannot view the properties of the location", can I ask what action you take to 'view the properties' it is that is failing?  I don't understand what object, nor how, you are attempting to view?

What I've done in the past is grant the AD object which is the computer which is the media server full access rights to the share.  AFAIK there is no need for an AD user to have permissions on the CIFS share, it is a 'computer' which is granted access rights to the share.

• Hi sdo. Here is what Im seeing when I try to view the properties of the share. I have the media server in there, and the UNC path to the cifs share. Does what Ive done here seem incorrect, or is it just needing further configuration?

IsilonCFS.PNG

• NBU services on media server ( Client and 1 other that I cannot remember now) must be started as user with write permissions. Details in NBU Admin Guide I and a TN that I will search for when I have time. Or just start all services as this user. Ensure user has local admin rights.

*** EDIT *** 

Found it:

Forum post: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-how-add-cifs-share-storage 

TN:
    Configuring credentials for CIFS storage and disk storage units
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO106038

• Thanks Marianne.

This will be using slp, so from the article, I'll need AdvancedDisk. Once I change the service accounts running the client service and the nbrmms service on the media servers needed, wont I then need to create the storage server and disk volume using the nbdevconfig -creatests commands, follow by the nbdevconfig -createdv(per the link), before I can create the AdvancedDisk storage unit, or are these steps not fully unnecessary when sending to a CIFS? I just need to be sure I'm detailing the process for myself clearly, and I also have to add the process in our change procedures.

• Your opening and subsequent posts were for Basic Disk specifically.

Yes. To use SLP, you need Advanced Disk.

You will need to go through the process of adding Storage Server and then add the CIFS share as disk pool.
    Delete existing BasicDisk STU and duplicate and expire backups if any were written to this STU.

See in Chapter 3 of NetBackup AdvancedDisk Storage Solutions Guide  :
    Configuring credentials for CIFS storage and disk storage units

• Got the AdvancedDisk configuration set up and running under needed service accounts, and the backup to the CIF is running well. Thank you.