Forum Discussion

nasahasha
Level 5
11 years ago

Copying data from one tape to other tape

I have 2 tapes each of 1600GB capacity, one is 990GB (000093) full and other is only 20GB (000056) occupied, I need to copy this 20GB data to other tape which is 990GB occupied.

I understand from readings that in netbackup images are duplicated not tapes, I am ok with it, I will duplicate with image id's but I want copy to go to tape which I mention, Is there a way I can duplicated data to tape I wish?

In short How can I move complete data from tape xyz123 to abc123?

• Hi,

First of all you'll need to check what the retention level is for each image. Unless you have allow multiple retention levels configured for your environment NetBackup will not place images with different retention levels on the same media. This might be why they're on different media currently.

So assuming that the above is satisfied then you'll have to ensure that the 990GB media is the only option available when you initiate the duplication job. This might mean removing all the other media from that pool (and the scratch pool) from the robot before you start.

Its possible but really a pain to try and do regularly.

Why do you want to do this?

8 Replies

• Try to create a new volume pool containing tapes on which you want to copy the data, and use that volume pool in bpduplicate command or while duplicating from catalog section.

• Hi,

First of all you'll need to check what the retention level is for each image. Unless you have allow multiple retention levels configured for your environment NetBackup will not place images with different retention levels on the same media. This might be why they're on different media currently.

So assuming that the above is satisfied then you'll have to ensure that the 990GB media is the only option available when you initiate the duplication job. This might mean removing all the other media from that pool (and the scratch pool) from the robot before you start.

Its possible but really a pain to try and do regularly.

Why do you want to do this?

•  create a volume pool name duplicatemedia , move tape abc123 to volume pool duplicatemedia.

tape xyz123 -- check NBU images which are present on it. u can check via GUI. go to catalog option , put media id and correct copy number. It can be done via command line as well. (bpimmedia – display information about NetBackup images on media). On top left corner it will show as verify. select a NBU image. change top left corner verify to duplicate. then from selected NBU image right click then select duplicate. It will ask show duplication window. There u can select desired volume pool and stotage unit as well.

duplication via command line -- bpduplicate – create a copy of backups that NetBackup has created

bpduplicate -backupid -cn copy number -dp destination volume pool -dstunit destination storage unit

• As per Riaan's excellent post, NBU will only append to an existing tape if the retention level is the same.
    When you specify destination to duplicate to, you can only specify the storage unit and pool.

So, if there are other tapes with space left that fit all criteria, NBU may choose a different tape. 

This means that you will have to ensure that the tape you want to duplicate to is the only possible choice.

Couple of ways this can possibly be done:
    Suspend all non-full tapes in the robot in this pool, except for the one you want to use.
    If source tape is in the same pool, you will have to suspend that too.

Another way is physically or logically move eligable tapes out of the robot so that they won't be considered.
    You will still have to suspend the source tape if in the same pool.

Another way is to create a new pool, move a new tape into that pool, then use this as destination to duplicate images from both tapes.

• I want to do this to save a tape from going to offsite, its just 20GB filled out of 1600GB, so I wanted to move data other other tape which is also going offsite today and make this less occupied tape scratch..

We have allow multiple retention levels checked.

Possible solution of making only one tape available for duplicate is long process and pain, I will let the tape goooooo.

• If Netbackup has a option move data from tape to to tape option that would be just great..I guess this functionality is there in TSM