Forum Discussion

Itai
Level 4
9 years ago

create new master server

Hi

when starting new master server installation on win 2008r2 netbackup 7.6 after inserting the licnse key , choose destination to other path is greyed out, wierd.

it's new VM machine, could be disk wise? windows shows drive letter fine.

the real question I have is, can I p2v my  old master server (also7.6) currently on phisycal machine via VM converter? or should I install as fresh and restore from catalog?

Cheers,

Itai

• I have seen this behaviour if you are running repair type of installation where it does not allow you to change install path. If this is a new installation then it is weired.. Can u please make sure that there is no Netbackup installation on this VM. Also if you have used template to create this VM, you can try to use any other template if you have as the issue may be with OS itself.

About P2V with Vmware convertor, I could not find a supporting document from Symantec. If you want you can confirm with Symantec by opening a support case.

• If your master server is not clustered, and does not require any SAN connectivity then you should be ok - and it will be far easier if the IP addressing and subneting and routing is all remaining the same too.

No one can say for 100% sure that you will be ok - as it depends as much about how NetBackup reacts (and really it shouldn't care) - but its the Windows and other 'apps' which usually catch people out - i.e. will Windows and any other applications survive the P2V?

15 Replies