Forum Discussion

H_Sharma
Level 6
10 years ago

Cross Mount Point

Hello Experts,

If i select the below backup seletion of and does not enable the cross mount point in standard policy. Does it take the files directories inside it or will take only files as cross mount point is not enabled in the policy.

Backup Policy selection /bo

Thanks,

• If /bo is your backup selection then, without cross mount points, NetBackup will backup /bo and any files/folders it finds within /bo as long as they are in the same filesystem (as /bo).

If there are other filesystems mounted within /bo (e.g. mount point such as /bo/mountpoint or /bo/somepath/mountpoint etc) then the contents of these other filesystems will *only* be backed up with cross mount points selected, otherwise NetBackup will only backup the embedded filesystem(s) mountpoint(s).

***EDIT #1***

Ideally it should have backed up only the files that are inside the mount point /bo as cross mount point is not enabled.

If you only want the contents of /bo & not /bo itself (but why would you want to?) then you could've use a backup selection of /bo/*

(the same still applies with the cross mount points comments I made above if there are any other filesystems mounted within /bo)

Cross mount points is not *just* for root as a file system can be mounted just about anywhere - but it *is* more commonly 'associated' with root as 'obviously' every other filesystem is essentially mounted within root

***EDIT #2***

Not sure if you can still view the attached cached link (for some reason it appears that the original thread was deleted) but we had a good discussion on the forum a few weeks ago about the usage of 'cross mount points':

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:oSDMibNC96sJ:www.symantec.com/connect/forums/backing-alllocaldrives-tell-me-i-need-enable-cross-mount-points

4 Replies

• If you have a file list without selecting the cross mount point then, at your example, netbackup will backup only the mount point (32 Kilobytes backup) and not the files inside the mount point.

You have to select the cross mount point at the police's attributes to backup the files inside the mount point.

Do not to select cross mount points and "ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES" together. This will give you a double backup

• I had a mount point that was /bo and in policy cross mount point was not enabled. So i had a doubt that in this mount point the directories wont get backed up as i didnot enable the cross mount point.

Now backup got completed and i could see the files and directories got backed up in this mount point that is what we wanted.

Ideally it should have backed up only the files that are inside the mount point /bo as cross mount point is not enabled.

But if i would have enabled the cross mount point in this policy it would have done the same.

So need suggesstion..... Is this cross mount point is only for root?

• If /bo is your backup selection then, without cross mount points, NetBackup will backup /bo and any files/folders it finds within /bo as long as they are in the same filesystem (as /bo).

If there are other filesystems mounted within /bo (e.g. mount point such as /bo/mountpoint or /bo/somepath/mountpoint etc) then the contents of these other filesystems will *only* be backed up with cross mount points selected, otherwise NetBackup will only backup the embedded filesystem(s) mountpoint(s).

***EDIT #1***

If you only want the contents of /bo & not /bo itself (but why would you want to?) then you could've use a backup selection of /bo/*

(the same still applies with the cross mount points comments I made above if there are any other filesystems mounted within /bo)

Cross mount points is not *just* for root as a file system can be mounted just about anywhere - but it *is* more commonly 'associated' with root as 'obviously' every other filesystem is essentially mounted within root

***EDIT #2***

Not sure if you can still view the attached cached link (for some reason it appears that the original thread was deleted) but we had a good discussion on the forum a few weeks ago about the usage of 'cross mount points':

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:oSDMibNC96sJ:www.symantec.com/connect/forums/backing-alllocaldrives-tell-me-i-need-enable-cross-mount-points