Forum Discussion

S_R
Level 3
11 years ago

Dedupe disk is full.

Hi everyone, I am relatively new to Netbackup and my experience and knowledge are very limited. We have a dedupe disk connected to a Windows Server 2008 R2 media server. Currently only a si...
    11 years ago

Those files are just containers and their size will not actually change - as you are doing de-dupe they could be the first ever backups you ran - after that the same containers get referenced and so they never get removed

As those are quite large it indicates that the first run almost filled your pool up - after that you are just adding fingerprints plus the odd but of data now and again

On that basis you really need to increase the size of your de-dupe pool

Compaction could clear down some of those containers too - all odd concepts when using de-dupe but if you have that many containers of that size it does just put you near the limit

More disk space and even longer retention periods can actually help as you are making the system work pretty hard every day expiring those backups - but if de-dupe is really good all that work actually doesnt clear down any space - and the containers do not shrink anyway without compaction taking place

Hope some of this mankes some sense!

11 years ago

I am afraid it did not become clear what fixed the problem. The internal tool crchk was supplied and I ran it , but the output did not give any clues. However, after running crchk,  "crcontrol --processqueue" and "crcontrol --compactstart 100 0 1"  started working properly and space was freed.
    I think  running the crchk tool triggered the fix, but I am not sure. Afterwards, I also took the Low Water Mark of the pool to 80 % (it was 94% or 96%). Everything has been fine for the last month.

Thanks again.