Forum Discussion

Nicenavin
Level 4
11 years ago

Deduplication for Remote backups

Hi All,

I need good solution on the following;

There are 40 servers (Full backup data size is 4.2 TB) netbackup 7.1 clients in remote location (A). There I have 4.9 TB of space provided to accommodate the backup with 2months retention period.

Also, I have 5 TB space available in another location (B).

When I transferred the data from location A to B , per day (24hrs) 40 GB of data only able to transfer to location B.

If I enable client side deduplication, how it will work, I will get any good throughput over the WAN.

Anyone have good advice to move the backups?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Navin

• Client side de-dupe and accelerator work well for remote offices but if your storage is local to the remote site then MSDP on both sites is the way to go and just use a SLP to control the data flow - so backup is MSDP storage on remote site and Duplication to MSDP at local site

Should work OK - just makes me wonder what else you do at the local site?

If you have 4.5 TB at Site A and 5 TB at Site B i get the feeling that you probably do backups at site B too - so do make sure you actually have enough free space at Site B to duplicate the backups from Site A to it without filling it up - also set your retention periods carefully when doing this

Generally if you do backups at both sites and want to duplicate one site to the other you would want a much larger MSDP pool at site B

Hope this helps

11 Replies