Forum Discussion

Brits
Level 6
10 years ago

Encryption in Netbackup and dedupe ratio

hi Team, 

If I enable encryption option within policy, does it impact the de-dupe ratio of the data which gets backed up on MSDP pool? if yes , which encryption I should choose to aviod de-dupe ratio impact?

Regards

Brits

• Hi,

Yes it does impact it severly. See the note, you can configure MSDP encryption.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO89126

This would provide encryption at rest though, the data would be unencrypted when it goes over the wire.

16 Replies

• hi SDO,

So you mean we should implement MSDP encryption before creating MSDP pool & then there will not be any impact on de-dupe ratio ,  no overburned on media server and no backup slowness issue ?

I have physical media server which has 2 octa core CPU , 2.6 GHZ , 256 GB RAM.

• 1) So you mean we should implement MSDP encryption before creating MSDP pool & then there will not be any impact on de-dupe ratio

Yes, but it's not so much about before "creating" the MSDP pool, it's more about before "using" the MSDP pool.

But remember, if you do enable encryption at rest AFTER the MSDP pool has ingested backup data, then after the last of the unencrypted segments have been expunged, then there shouldn't be any difference with de-dupe ratios.

2) no overburned on media server

I do not understand "overburned".  Please explain?

3) and no backup slowness issue ?

Apologies, I did not mean to imply that it "would" definitely go slower, just that it "might" or "might not" go slower for a while or forever.  In truth, I don't know.  If your server and environment and configuration are all top notch - then you may never notice any CPU or performance impact from enabling MSDP encryption at rest.

4) I have physical media server which has 2 octa core CPU , 2.6 GHZ , 256 GB RAM.

Sounds like it should be more than capable - but if the disk storage is slow, then MSDP disk IO will be slow.

• Thanks a lot for clarity SDO. I will ensure to implment MSDP encryption before creating MSDP Pool.

I have only disk based backup option , So i wanted to be sure tha MSDP does de-dupe at best level.

I wanted to say , will MSDP encryption put any kind of load on media server ?

One last thing -- if in case , encryption creates backup slowness issue and I have to remove it, is it possible to remove encryption?  if yes , then after removing it , encrypted data needs to first purge before unencrypted data gets backed up to get the best de-dupe ratio ?

• Thanks a lot for clarity SDO. I will ensure to implment MSDP encryption before creating MSDP Pool.

• you're welcome.

I have only disk based backup option , So i wanted to be sure tha MSDP does de-dupe at best level.

I wanted to say , will MSDP encryption put any kind of load on media server ?

• ah - overburden !

One last thing -- if in case , encryption creates backup slowness issue and I have to remove it, is it possible to remove encryption?  if yes , then after removing it , encrypted data needs to first purge before unencrypted data gets backed up to get the best de-dupe ratio ?

• yes, you can disable, and yes I would have thought that this will result in a similar situation, i.e. the unencrypted segments will no longer match to, and therefore not de-dupe agianst, the previously encrypted segments.
  • FYI - There is some good useful info re encryption, in this recently published doc:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/nbu-76-blueprint-security-feb-2015