Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Encryption Question

We have a requirement by our auditors to encrypt some of our db backups 100 percent of the time.

Currently the db's reside on encrypted hdd's and I encrypt the Netbackup 8.0 backups.  This is working fine.

But - a question has come up - what about the transfer from the hdd to the tape - Can anyone tell me: During an encrypted backup as the data is transferred from the hdd through the network to the media server and library/tape - is the data encrypted?

Again - I understand the tapes are encrypted. I just want to be able to tell the auditor that at no point can an intruder intercept and read the pii data we're asked to protect/encrypt.

• Hi,

If you’re running version 8.1 or later your comms are encrypted with TLS. Data in flight is therefor secure.

Thanks

2 Replies

• Hi,

If you’re running version 8.1 or later your comms are encrypted with TLS. Data in flight is therefor secure.

Thanks
  • You typical encrypt data to prevent data disclouse to 3rd party - in order to maintain "data confidentiality".

In that regards is makes sense to encrypt data at rest - disk and tapes. 

Technical speaking data on a network is not at rest and therefor encrypting doesn't directly apply. That said Veritas is adding encryption to the communication between client and host 

Pls see:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/127786665-127786823-1

Best Regards

Nicolai