Forum Discussion

erikd
Level 3
13 years ago

Exchange 2010 backup questions, exclude files

Hey,

Im having trouble with my filelevel backup of a exchange 2010 server, it seems to have trouble reading these files..

Client1
/D/Program Files/Microsoft/Exchange/V14/ExchangeOAB/883980e2-042a-45c9-912a-f02da39117ee/

Client2
/J/Program Files/Microsoft/Exchange Server/V14/Mailbox/MS007_AS/CatalogData-015363df-0046-4c36-8aa5-4ec5b19a7206-3895b38e-3c00-4eff-9f04-04fca3b85f2e/00010012.dir

I have a policy for the Microsoft Information Store and a second policy for filelevel backup with "all local drives"

My question is , do i really need to backup these directories?

It should be enough with the Information Store and a AD backup for a restore point.right? :)

/E

• Exclude Exchange installation files as well as data folders from file level backups.

Disaster recovery includes installation of Exchange followed by Exchange data restore using the agent.

2 Replies

• Hi,

If you want to restore EVERYTHING on your Exchange server, then yes.It saves you reinstalling Exchange system files before the IS.

however, all you would end up needing anyway would be the Information Store...so a backup of the IS using the Exchange agent would be fine to restore all of Exchange, or items in it.

If you needed to restore user accounts or be ready for a DR-type situation where you lose all your servers, then a backup of AD using the ADRA agent or the System State of the DC would be fine.

Thanks!

• Exclude Exchange installation files as well as data folders from file level backups.

Disaster recovery includes installation of Exchange followed by Exchange data restore using the agent.