Forum Discussion

smckelvey
Level 5
13 years ago

Exchange 2010 DAG backup, logs not truncating

or at least only occasionally, with no way that's apparent to me to replicate for testing purposes. Occasionally they do or have truncated, but I can't find any rhyme or reason. We are just moving ou...
    13 years ago

Although the following thread was never concluded concretely in my opinion, I think this he/she describes what we were mistaking as a problem:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/exchange-2010-sp1-and-nbu-70-logs-not-truncating

After some more reading, the "Checkpoint" appears to essentially be a minimum number of logs that Exchange will retain. Since our 2010 environment was brand new and we'd only moved a couple of users to it, we weren't generating enough logs to reliably test truncation after each backup. This also explains the seemingly intermittent and odd numbers of truncated logs that we were seeing.

So, after moving some more users into the 2010 environment (which generated more logs), it appears to be working as described by the Checkpoint literature. Also, it appears to be working regardless of whether we backedup from the passive or active nodes. I'll update this thread if anything changes.