Forum Discussion

16ris10
Level 6
13 years ago

Exludes Lsit Aobut /Tmp & /Proc

Hello,

We have excluded few directories like /tmp/ and /proc/ from the backup for few clients. The exludes are mentioned on the client, not policy or scheduled wise(its irrelevant anywas).

My question is: From what I know is, if the policy does not have this "cross mount point" CHECKED, then /tmp and /proc are exluded from the backup anyways?

Can someone please confirm me this, and how sure are you. no guesses or anything please? :|

or are there any other parameters aswell for this checking?

• but this confirms what you are seeing (from both of the T/N's I quoted earlier)

proc (UNIX/Linux platforms; does not exclude automatically for AIX, so /proc must be added manually to exclude list. If not added manually, partially successful backups may result when using the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive on AIX)

Altho' it also says:

tmpfs (Linux)

Which indicates to me this isn't the default for anything other than Linux - so maybe I've been living a lie all these years!

26 Replies

• is /proc something that was already mentioned in the exclude or someone did that when installed?

• but this confirms what you are seeing (from both of the T/N's I quoted earlier)

proc (UNIX/Linux platforms; does not exclude automatically for AIX, so /proc must be added manually to exclude list. If not added manually, partially successful backups may result when using the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive on AIX)

Altho' it also says:

tmpfs (Linux)

Which indicates to me this isn't the default for anything other than Linux - so maybe I've been living a lie all these years!

• https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/exludes-lsit-aobut-tmp-proc#comment-7016641

I suppose at the end of the day if you want to be 100% sure that you don't back something up put it in an exclude_list.

(& then hope you're not caught by one of the few bugs that don't honor exclude_lists)

• ok. so now what does that mean? for Solaris what is the default in one line? default means which doesn't have to be included in the Exclude_List? and if you cat exclude_list then it would show you exactly those directories or it wont be showing it?

• NetBackup automatically excludes the following file system types on most platforms:

•cdrom (all UNIX/Linux platforms)
    •cachefs (AIX, Solaris, SGI, UnixWare)
    •devpts (Linux)
    •mntfs (Solaris)
    •proc (UNIX/Linux platforms; does not exclude automatically for AIX, so /proc must be added manually to exclude list. If not added manually, partially successful backups may result when using the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive on AIX)
    •tmpfs (Linux)
    •usbdevfs

so that doesn't include /tmp in it. but i didn't see /proc in the eclude. is default something you wouldn't see in exclude_list file?

• "I suppose at the end of the day if you want to be 100% sure that you don't back something up put it in an exclude_list."

Now I'm back at work, I can look at our systems:

For ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES: our Solaris boxes do not backup the contents of /tmp but our Linux boxes do backup /tmp (no exclude_lists) - this seems totally contrary to the T/N, so no wonder there's confusion!

The contents of /proc are not saved on either (no exclude_lists) - we don't have AIX.