Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Backup Exec 2012 AVVI possible Glitch?

Hi all, I just wanted to share this event that happened to me today. I installed BE 2012, connected to vCenter and everything's fine. Everything backups fine (even with GRT) and the whole install...
    11 years ago

Just by having Application GRT enabled  we will attempt to talk to the remote agent near the start of the job and you can therefore then get an error either if we cannot talk to that remote agent, or possibly if we can talk to the remote agent, but there are no database technologies on the system to backup. If we cannot talk to the remote agent then either there is no access to Port 10,000 (firewall etc) or the trust relationship has not been correctly configured.

If you do not need App GRT then for the backup itself (even for file system GRT) we do not need to talk to the remote agent. Hence even though you had an error you could still recover individual files.

As an aside if this 2008 R2 system contains one of the following then it might be corectly try to use App GRT and then failing with some other problem

a) A domain controller

b) running any kind of SQL instance (even SQL express)

c) running any component of Sharepoint (is the IIS server involved withj a Sharepoint farm?)

d) running Exchange