Forum Discussion

3 years ago

How Overwrite option in restore works

Hi, Just want to know how overwrite option in backup technologies works during the restore. In my scenario I have restored the full backup (which has file named A, B, C, D) later I restored increme...
    davidmoline
    3 years ago

HI AnandhaKannan_D 

Let's try one more time. The behaviour will depend on what backup sets are included in your restore session.

If the backup sets used for the restore does not include the full backup and only the incrementals, then selecting the folder that contains the four files (A,B,C&D) will not restore file D (as that was only included in the full backup). In the GUI that is controlled by changing the start and end date/time when searching for files to recover. In fact if you change the time frame to exclude the full backup file D will not be available to select.

When you initiate the restore from the GUI, what happens then is sequentially, starting from the oldest backup, the required file(s) from each backup to cover your selection will be restored. Each file selected will be restored once only (from all available backups covered by the session) from the latest backup available of that file (unless of course you specify a specific version when selecting the files).

Cheers
    David

Azhar4
    3 years ago

for the first part..No is the answer

for second part, by default, restore window select the latest Full backups and subsequent Incr backup images for the data  and present it you in the window. you can either go with this default selection and restore with overwrite option , it will restore all the latest version of data, starting from the full image.