Forum Discussion

Brian78
Level 3
7 years ago

How to Backup a Two Node Windows SQL Cluster

Hola, 

All experts over here, I am newbie when it comes to Netbackup. I want to backup my SQL 2-Node cluster on Windows 2016 Machines. I want to know what exactly i need to do to make sure the backup won't fail when the cluster failover. I tried reading up the SQL NBU guide but i didn't quite understand that being a new to NBU world. 

My Environment:-

1. 2-Node SQL cluster running on Windows 

2. I have a Seperate 10G connection to run my Backups

What needs to be exactly put into Netbackup policy to backup the Windows SQL cluster ??

Thanks in Advance,

Brian

• Brian78

Not sure how else to explain....

Configuring backups of clustered SQL Server instances (legacy SQL Server policies): https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/17221771-126559330-0/v14764142-126559330 
    uses examples that shows the virtual hostname for SQL on the Production interface - VIRTUALSERVER. Your example: SQLSERVER
    This is the the virtual IP address that is configured in DNS and in the SQL Cluster Resource group and used for 'normal' SQL operations.

What I was trying to explain, was that an additional IP address is needed on the backup network. :
    Each node should already have a base IP on the backup network (10G), right?
    You now need another virtual IP on the backup network.
    This IP address will need to be defined in DNS and linked to a virtual hostname (SQLSERVER-BK). 
    This virtual IP address also needs to be defined in the same cluster resource group as the SQL instance so that it can fail over along with all other resources in the SQL resource
     group. 

This means that the SQL cluster resource group will have TWO IP resources -
    - one for normal SQL operations on the production network: IP link to SQLSERVER.

- 2nd IP resource for the backup network: SQLSERVER-BK.

11 Replies

Brian78
      Level 3

Hi Maria,

Thanks for responding. I am using RDM so my backup is script based. 

May i know which virtual name i need to choose in the client selections ?

Mouse

I think the technote is not being very clear, but I'll try to explain. You may need to have another virtual IP bound to the 10GbE backup interface on top of the access interface/primary virtual IP of the SQL server, this is to make sure NBU will follow the required interface/IP settings. You need to configure also a different hostname in DNS for that IP and use that hostname in the SQL backup script. As the virtual IP will failover along with SQL resources, you should be able to always back up SQL through the backup interface IP.