Forum Discussion

Pierre_J
Level 4
6 years ago

How to determine daily change rate

Hello All, It seems odd but I have difficulties determining the daily change rate of the data I am backing up. We write to a dedup device (Data Domain) so from that side it is hard to get some figu...
    davidmoline
    6 years ago

PIerre

Read the section in the VMware admin guide chapter 9 - "About Reporting the amount of Accelerator backup data that was transferred over the network".
    There are three commands you can use bpdbjobs, bpimagelist and bpclimagelist.

With any of these you can cobble together a script to create the output you need.

Cheers
    David

davidmoline
    6 years ago

Hi Pierre

The numbers reported are the accelerated numbers - so will be showing the change blocks from the VM itself. This is the data transferred from the VM backup host to the media server (which may be the same machine). 

There may be additional information in the job details that indicate the amount of deduplicated data sent to the Data Domain (although I'm not 100% sure this is reported for DD, like it is for an MSDP storage unit).

So for eaxmple you have a 100GB VM. For an accelerated backup (with say 10% change rate), 10GB would be rquired to be read by the media server. Of this 10GB, DDBoost may not require some of this as the data already exists in the DD (this is the deduplication performance). 

The bpimagelist command (and others mentioned) will show the 10GB value of the acceleratoed backup, NOT the amount of data sent to the DD.

Cheers