Forum Discussion

SauravKr_
Level 3
10 years ago

Is it necessary to disable UAC before installing NetBackup

While installing NetBackup, is it necessary to disable UAC. Secondly, Is it necessary to install NetBackup with Local Administrator instead of Domain Administartor. If yes why.

• From experience, I would say to just do it (unless you have some reason you can't). It sometimes creates issues, and other times not. So I prefer to not have to do it twice. It used to have more issue in Windows 2008, less so since the SP release.

5 Replies

• From experience, I would say to just do it (unless you have some reason you can't). It sometimes creates issues, and other times not. So I prefer to not have to do it twice. It used to have more issue in Windows 2008, less so since the SP release.

• Under the General requirements of the Admin Guide it says:

Note: To install NetBackup on Windows 2008/Vista and
    Windows 2008 R2/Windows 7 UAC-enabled environments,
    you must log on as the official administrator. Users that are
    assigned to theAdministrators Group and are notthe official
    administrator cannot install NetBackup in UAC-enabled
    environments. To allow users in the Administrators Group
    to install NetBackup, disable UAC.

So like Riaan says, just do it. :D

• Thanks Riaan and SymTerry. If I am not wrong Domain Administrator are Official Administrator.

• Hi Saurav kr

In answer to your question " Is it necessary to install NetBackup with Local Administrator instead of Domain Administartor. If yes why."

Netbackup uses the Local System Account to authenticate its processes. Therefore to install Netbackup you would use your Admin Account on the Local Domain.

The only time you use a Domain Account would be if you were backing up a UNC path //. In this case, you would change Netbackup Client Services, Netbackup Legacy Client services, and Netbackup Fibre Transport services to logon with a Domain Account so that the client services would have access to the data store.