Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Is there any setting for failover in NBU??

HI Experts,

I am testing the failover scenario with NBU 7.6.1.

I am backing up the SMB share (network share). My client which is the source of my data is mounted on the windows 2008 NBU master server and has 2 nodes-node A and node B.

issue: 

if i run a backup from nodeA and do the failover from the cluster while the backup is running, the backup stops. It doesnt fail but is partially successful. NBU backsup the data till the point when failover is executed. 

Activity monitor says "backup is partially successful" and says that "the specified path no longer exists". 

In an ideal scenario, when a failover is run on nodeA, it should automatically switch to node B without affecting the backup.

However, if i take a backup (without failover) which is successful and do a restore and while restore is running, i do a failover of the nodeA then restore is successful. So the issue is only when failover is done while the backup is running.

I want to know if there is any setting in NBU which needs to be edited in order do a sucessful backup when a failover is run in the middle of the running backup.

Kindly help and suggest.

Cheers!!

• A cluster does not give you 'always on'. It gives you failover.

Failover means that the application and all resources are taken offline on the failed node and brought online on the standby node. 
    You now have a master server that can either restart or resume backups.

What happens to the jobs after failover depends on the type of job, progress at the time of failure and # tries per ## hours settings in Global Attributes.

11 Replies

• Did you select master server virtual hostname in the policy? Is UNC path accessible from both nodes? Client service on both nodes started with sufficient access permissions to the share?