Forum Discussion

Jas262
Level 3
5 years ago

MSDP Sizing and LUN Allocation Advice needed

We have New Media Server, I need to create a MSDP pool inorder to Duplicate some of our Backup's from other Media Server. From Storage i can create Small lun's of capacity (5-10 TB) each, Our Requir...
    5 years ago

You need to not think so much in terms of E: F: G: etc, but more in terms of partitions mounted at mount-points.

I'm wondering if you'd be better off allocating in units of 32TB in case you ever need to expand... so maybe you could allocate a 32TB plus an 8TB.

See here re how to consider / think out mount-points that then get added to the MSDP configuration :

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/MSDP-250TB/m-p/869646

sdo
    5 years ago

Morley72  please could you post where it says that dynamic disks are supported for Windows based MSDP servers?

I'm not saying that dynamic disks are not supported, just pointing out that this article does not mention using dynamic disks :

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100038442

...instead, this article indicates to mount partitions at specific mount-points and to then use a NetBackup CLI command to add/configure the additional mount-points in MSDP.

5 years ago

sdo

I don't think it cares if it's dynamic or not but the article you posted (nice one) sort of negates the requirement to one giant volume as it says the disk should be presented as separate folder mounts;

The volume used should be present as nested volumes, not as letter drives (C:, E:). Veritas qualified this solution using NTFS volumes. So I guess we can use 5TB, and just keep adding them as and when required.

Below is an example volume layout, each data# directory is a nested mount.

"msdp_data" :["c:/msdp/data1" ,"c:/msdp/data2" ,"c:/msdp/data3" ,

"c:/msdp/data4","c:/msdp/data5","c:/msdp/data6",

"c:/msdp/data7"],

"msdp_cat" :["c:/msdp/cat" ],