Forum Discussion

Neha_K
Level 4
10 years ago

NDMP backup of network share on iSCSI library

Hello All,

Can anyone please share ideas/suggestions on how to configure a setup for taking a NDMP backup of network share (mounted on a Windows 2008 master server) on the iSCSI library?

My network share is Linux based host.

1. What all things need to be in the zone for this type of configuration?

2. How do i Configure iSCSI library?

3. Are there any chnages that need to be made on the network share?

NBU Version: 7.6

Any leads appreciated!

Cheers!!

• Hi,

As I'm not sure if your (or any) NDMP device can be configured to access tape devices across iSCSI I would say this should be a remote NDMP configuration

1. Zone the library to the master and configure the tape devices
    2. add credentials to the NDMP device on the master and create an NDMP policy or
    3. backup the share as a MS-Windows policy using \\NDMP IP\Share name (start netbackup client service on the client doing the mapping with domain account that has rights to all folder on the share)

7 Replies

• 1. What all things need to be in the zone for this type of configuration?

Zoning is only possible if you have these things going to san switch. Also you are using iscsi connector which you can't connect directly to San switch. Let us know your existing setup and we will help with the setup.

2. How do i Configure iSCSI library?

You can configure this iSCSI library directly with NDMP device and take a NDMP based backup directly on library. This would be much faster and a direct NDMP backup.

If you just want to backup that share and don't want NDMP backup, connect the iSCSI library to any of the media server or master server. Once connected you should be able to see the library in the OS. Once that is done just run the device configuration wizard to configure the library. If you connect the library directly to the media or master you can't share the library with other media/master and this is the only server will manage the library.

3. Are there any changes that need to be made on the network share?

Refer this DOC
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH198175

• Hi,

As I'm not sure if your (or any) NDMP device can be configured to access tape devices across iSCSI I would say this should be a remote NDMP configuration

1. Zone the library to the master and configure the tape devices
    2. add credentials to the NDMP device on the master and create an NDMP policy or
    3. backup the share as a MS-Windows policy using \\NDMP IP\Share name (start netbackup client service on the client doing the mapping with domain account that has rights to all folder on the share)
  • You also posted this discussion yesterday:

NFS share backup through linux media server to VTL 

Anything in common? Same issue/query?

Device config must always start with verifying compatibility:

NBU 7.x HCL: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76495 

The next step is to follow documentation for your tape library to connect and configure devices to media server. If you have never done it before, contact your hardware supplier. They normally have installation and configuration personnel to assist you.
    Zoning and hardware configuration is difficult to assist without having any specific info about all of the hardware in your environment and is outside the purpose of a backup software forum.

Once the OS can see the devices, you simply run the Device config wizard.

When your devices are configured, start another discussion by telling us make/model of NDMP device.
    We will be able to provide better advice if we have enough information.

This looks like the same query? How to backup NFS share with Linux host as media server. 

• Hi Riaan, 

Kindly refer to my post reply to sazz. I have explained about how i configured iSCSI libarary without zoning.

Thanks!!

• Hi Marianne,

My NFS share backup through linux media server to VTL is regarding a simple NFS network share backup to VTL library where in my master server is windows 2008 platform and my media server is a linux based host.

i have mounted my nfs share on my minux host and mounting is successfull. However, backups fail.

In NBU GUI, in policies, i have select client as my Linux host and in backup selection i have provided the mount path (which reflects the data in my nfs share). iam assuming that the selections made in the policy are right. Correct me if i am wrong.

I do not see Follow NFS option, while selecting MS-Windows type option(which i select for CIFS backup). However, the same option can be seen with policy type selected as standard. 

i am a bit confused while creating a storage unit. I did it through getting started wizard.

In device hosts, do i need to select  my master server or the linux host for scanning( i am assuming it should be linux host as nfs share is mounted there and i can see my tape drives and libraries after scanning).

Do i need to zone my linux server along with WWN's of the library.?

Sorry , if this seems confusing. 

Thanks,

Neha

• Hi sazz,

1. you are right in saying that for iSCSI library, we dont need to do zoning. Just figured out the way, after your post.

2. I have configured iSCSI library with NDMP device and taken a NDMP based backup on the library. However, backup fails with the following error:

Requested NDMP machine does not have credentials or is not configured in NetBackup(2108).

Steps followed: 

>>Fetched the initiator name from the initiator host by running the following command:

cat /etc/iscsi/initiatorname.iscsi 

>>Created an iSCSI library.

>>I have setup NDMP in my network share by using the following command:

setfsndmp conf -dma 1.2.3.4   

where, 1.2.3.4- master server IP(windows 2008)

>>Then, i did showfsndmp -conf 

it listed the enabled DMA IP with the NDMP enabled on the host.

>> I also ran the following commands:

showfsndmp -vtl vtltapes    and 

showfsndmp -vtl vtldevices

It could easily detect my media changer and drives along with the VTL IP.

Hence, i conclude my NDMP set up is proper .

However, my back-up are failing.:(

Not sure , if i am missing out anything while configuring the storage device and policy in nBU GUI.

NOTE: my network share/drive is mounted/mappred on windows 2008 machine which is NBU master.

3. I have followed this document earlier from the symanten support. It works well for a CFS share backup to VTL. (Non-NDMP)

Please let me know if there can be any changes that i can make in the configuration or in configuring Storage unit and NDMP policy for network share backup.

Thanks !!

• It could easily detect my media changer and drives along with the VTL IP.

Hence, i conclude my NDMP set up is proper .

No. This concludes that VTL is setup properly.

Please do not confuse NDMP backup with NFS or CIFS share backup.

You need to understand the difference between these 3 backup methods:

NDMP: Needs NDMP policy type (separate license) with credentials for filer added on NBU media server. No software is installed on the filer. 
    Config details in NetBackup for NDMP Administrator's Guide  

NFS : Unix or Linux client or media server backs up the data with NAS (or other NFS share) mounted on the Linux client/media server. Use Standard policy with 'Follow NFS' in attributes, Unix/Linux machine in Clients tab and the mount point in Backup Selection. 
    Explained in NBU Admin Guide I.

CIFS: This is a CIFS share from a NAS or other Windows system, mounted on a Windows server/client. Policy type is MS-Windows with 'Backup network drives' selected in policy attributes, Windows Client/server selected in Client tab and UNC path to the share specified in Backup Selection.
    NBU Client service must be started as domain user with access to the share. 
    Explained in NBU Admin Guide I.

As I've said before:
    Device setup and the actual config of backup policy are 2 separate issues.
    You need to clearly separate these 2 configuration steps.