Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Need to understand vmoprcmd command

Hi, I am new to Netbackup and trying to learn and understand it, so i would really appreciate if you can help me with some questions on below mentioned vmoprcmd output. # vmoprcmd HOST...
    10 years ago

That example is found in the NBU Command Reference Guide, right?  They don't explain the output because that would take up far too much space, but I would really, REALLY suggest you find a training course and walk through the installation and setup of an NBU system.  It will help you understand what you are seeing in the command output.

Q1. Under Host Name we see "hamex", may i know hamex is the media server or master server . So what does basically host name denote here?

• In this example, there is only one NetBackup server and it is both the master server and the media server.  This is an acceptable way to start with NetBackup in a very small NetBackup domain (domain= media servers, clients, and storage that are all part of a single NBU master server's protection); as the amount and type of data increases, additional media servers would have to be created to handle the additional load of moving all the data to tape or disk.

Q2. Can you please explain Drive Name, what does all parts of "IBM.ULTRIUM-TD2.005" denotes here.

• Tape drives can be named anything you want.  The default is to use HardwareVendor.Model-TapeDriveSpec.TapeDriveIndex.  In domains where more than one tape robot and more than one tape drive specification exist (one robot could have LTO3 and LTO4 tape drives, for example), the tapr drive naming convention makes it easy to reference the correct ones in storage unit definitions, reports, etc.

Q3. What is the drive index and where can i find it in this command output?

• The tape drive index that you are asking about is probably the last 3 digits of the tape drive name. These can be different from the relative tape drive index defined in the robot, because NBU assigns them based on the order of response when they are first discovered and defined by the Tape Drive Wizard.