Forum Discussion

1501SV
Level 4
11 years ago

Netbackup Accelerator

Will Netbackup accelator be able to do changed block tracking when we are backing up a NFS/CIFS mount point ? I know, if we are using NDMP "netbackup accelator works". - NBU version - 7.6.0.1 ...
    11 years ago

Addition to SymTerrys post:

Part II of the blog about Accelerator

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/frequently-asked-questions-netbackup-accelerator-part-ii

quote from the blog above:

Can I use NetBackup Accelerator to backup Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices?

Yes, you can use NetBackup Accelerator to protect any NAS device that supports NFS and/or CIFS protocols. You would need a mount host that supports NFS/CIFS where the NAS volume can be mounted.  Note that a given volume from NAS device must be mounted on the same host and must use the same mount point for all the backup runs to take advantage of NetBackup Accelerator.

This mount host can be a NetBackup client or NetBackup media server. NetBackup 5200 series appliances can also function as the mount host.

You also have the ability to scale-out NAS protection using multiple mount hosts. If you have a large NAS device with multiple volumes, you can distribute the volumes across multiple mount hosts and perform backups concurrently to scale-out backup jobs.

Is NFS mount host or CIFS mount host better to make use of NetBackup Accelerator?

From NetBackup Accelerator’s perspective, it does not matter which protocol you use. The question really is whether the implementation server (on NAS device) and client (on mount host) are superior for NFS or CIFS. If your environment supports both protocols, I recommend experimenting both and decide what works better for you. Furthermore, there could be other site specific or environmental factors that may decide your choice on NFS or CIFS.
    11 years ago

Hi, 1501SV

I think other people should answer your question.

However, I have a question, what do you mean "I know, if we are using NDMP "netbackup accelator works"."?

Currently in NBU 7601, accelerator backup doesn't support NDMP backup. Maybe supported in the future release.

thanks