Forum Discussion

onepranav
Level 4
11 years ago

Netbackup Client installation on AIX 7.1

Hello Experts!

Has anything changed from the perspective of Netbackup client installation on AIX 7.1 ?

Earlier i use to install netbackup agent on an AIX server and then add the server to backup rotations in netbackup; recently noticing that the netbackup client installation on AIX 7.1 [oslevel - 7100-02-03-1334] will fail with error 

(root /usr/openv/netbackup/bin) 130#./install_client_files ssh <>

Client <> was not found in the configuration database.

The client files were not installed on <>.

When i add the client in a netbackup policy and then try to install client, the installation is successful.

I am installing agent 7505 from a HPUx 7505 Master server.

I wanted to know if anything changed from NBU end or from the AIX end for this approach to change ?

• Client push-install from the master has ALWAYS needed the client name to exist in a policy.

install_client_files script is used for push-install using ftp method, not local installation. 
    See 
    NetBackup Installation Guide for UNIX and Linux http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5154

If I say ALWAYS, I mean for as long as I have known NBU. Since version 3.1.1.
    We have done this in most of the large NBU installations in this country since 1999.

You will find this requirement in all versions of NBU Installation Guide.

I have just double-checked the more 'recent' versions of Installation Guide.

NBU 6.5:

Notes on pushing client software from a master server to clients
    Use the following guidelines to prepare your NetBackup environment for client software installation from the master server.
    ■ Before you can push client software from the master server, each client name must be assigned to a NetBackup policy. Policies are created on the master server.

NBU 7.1:

About pushing client software from a master server to clients
    You can increase the speed of client installation by pushing the software from
    the master server to the clients. This method eliminates the need for a local
    installation at each client.
    The following describes how to prepare your NetBackup environment for client
    software installation from the master server.
    ■ Install the client type software on the master server. Be sure to install all of
    the client types that pertain to your NetBackup configuration.
    See “Installing client type software on a master server” on page 54.
    ■ Before you can push client software from the master server, each client name
    must be assigned to a NetBackup policy. Policies are created on the master
    server.

NBU 7.5: 

■ Install the client type software on the master server. Be sure to install all of
    See “Installing client type software on a master server” on page 68. 
    server.

If you use the downloaded Installation media for Unix clients, you can install directly on the client using 'install' script in the root of extracted media.

2 Replies

• Client push-install from the master has ALWAYS needed the client name to exist in a policy.

install_client_files script is used for push-install using ftp method, not local installation. 
    See 
    NetBackup Installation Guide for UNIX and Linux http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5154

If I say ALWAYS, I mean for as long as I have known NBU. Since version 3.1.1.
    We have done this in most of the large NBU installations in this country since 1999.

You will find this requirement in all versions of NBU Installation Guide.

I have just double-checked the more 'recent' versions of Installation Guide.

NBU 6.5:

Notes on pushing client software from a master server to clients
    Use the following guidelines to prepare your NetBackup environment for client software installation from the master server.
    ■ Before you can push client software from the master server, each client name must be assigned to a NetBackup policy. Policies are created on the master server.

NBU 7.1:

See “Installing client type software on a master server” on page 54.
    server.

NBU 7.5: 

See “Installing client type software on a master server” on page 68. 
    server.

If you use the downloaded Installation media for Unix clients, you can install directly on the client using 'install' script in the root of extracted media.