Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Netbackup Deduplication Engine takes lot of time to load into memory

Hello,

I just wanted to know why Netbackup Deduplication Service(spoold) takes time to load into memory.(To start completely)
I have seen sometimes it took more than 4 hours to start, when checking in Windows Task Manager the memory for spoold.exe is increasing gradually.

Thanks & Regards
Sujit

8 Replies

• Having recently upgraded from v7.1.0.4 to v7.5.0.5 I'm finding startup much slower now; I have a 15TB volume and I'm taking 1.5 hours to restart now.

My recommendation for system memory is you need 2GB of RAM for every 1TB of used MSDP disk.  Any less and you can suddently suffer a major drop in performance.  spoold needs to map all the fingerprints into memory and keep them there.

• Hello Nicolai,

Thanks for immediate response, it was quite explanatory.
    Does spoold only reads the fingerprint cache from database or it performs any other activity.

Also as and when the dedupe size is increasing the time to start spoold will also increase as it has to read more fingerprints, is this the right statement.

Thanks
    Sujit

• After deduplicate service start ,MSDP try to load 100 percentage of fingerprints into the fingerprint index cache. So MSDP need lots of memory after startup.

if you encount the problem,you can call symc for help. or waiting netbackup new version.

• http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH183707

This technote explain that spoold read the fingerprint cache from disk first before it become ready to write data.

4 hours sonds like really long time - It's important to understand that MSDP operation are random I/O pattern and that slow disk like SATA disk are not optimal for the job. There been many improvement is MSDP since 7.0 so if you are on a older version you may consider to upgrade. 

I think you also may find the following tech note usefull if you want to improve fingerprint loading

HOWTO: Special considerations when deploying NetBackup Media Server Deduplication on Windows systems.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO61249

Shehkh4
      Level 4

Hi Nicolai ,

Mine is Version 8.1.2 but still I'm facing the same error and I have also attached the screenshot, can you help me that how to resolve this.

Thank you.

L_BR
        Level 5

Hello, it would be more beneficial to create your own topic instead of replying to a 10 year old one.