Forum Discussion

SteveJD
Level 3
5 years ago

NetBackup Media Import - Operator Action Required

Hi... firstly, I'm running NetBackup v6.0 MP4, which is pretty old. I built my server specifically to duplicate a load of legacy backups onto newer LTO6 tapes, and that process worked perfectly well...
    Marianne
    5 years ago

SteveJD 

I am still battling to put puzzle pieces together. 

As Nicolai said - if the images have not expired, there is no need to import tapes. 

What does this state mean? 

When attempting a restore I hoped the images would be available, however nothing appeared.... 

Are you saying that you could locate files and folders in the Backup, Archive, GUI? 
    Or not? 
    I have no idea what 'nothing appeared' means. 

What I do see from your robtest output is that a mount and unmount worked from the robot side, but it seems that the OS device path never recognized the tape mount: 

"No media in drive {4,0,2,0}" 

The 2nd-last number is the scsi target if memory serves me right. 

If we look at 's d' output, we see that scsi id for drive 1 is 3, and scsi id for drive 2 is 4. 

So, it seems to me if device paths at OS-level has changed and NBU device config is now incorrect. 
    This means that the tape library will mount the tape in a drive, but the OS device never sees and recognize the mount on the device path. 

To fix this, delete the currently configured tape drives (no need to delete the robot as functionality seems to be okay), run the Device Config Wizard and allow the wizard to restart services. 
    (No need to re-config storage units, so you can skip that step)

Let us know how that goes.