Forum Discussion

AlanL
Level 2
10 years ago

Netbackup Multistreaming

i'm looking to back up a single 40TB drive using netbackup 7.7, utilizing multistreaming.

This needs to be a single job, backing up to multiple tape drives at once.

is there any way to back up the whole data without splitting into seperate folders?

• wow.. Never possible..

you can not send the single job to Mulitple tape Drives.

you should split into Different streams if you would like to complete it by using multiple Drives...

8 Replies

• wow.. Never possible..

you can not send the single job to Mulitple tape Drives.

you should split into Different streams if you would like to complete it by using multiple Drives...

• This 40Tb drive, is it on Windows client? Are there other drives too?

Is it a separate partition? If so, you will need to specify as below

<drive letter>:\[0-9]*

<drive letter:\[a-f]*

NEW_STREAM

<drive letter:\[g-n]*

NEW STREAM

etc

etc

Utilizing MSDP as a storage unit and accelerator may be more beneficial, hard to tell without knowing more about your environment and this client

• the 40TB drive is on a windows server. we would be looking to only back up this one drive. Basically i'm trying to utilize multistreaming but without splitting the job into many folders (e:\folder1, e:\folder2 etc)

Is this possible at all? is there a way for netbackup to just back up the E: drive, creating streams itself?

• You could try to backup:    E:\*

...and this should generate one stream for every item (folder tree and/or file) at the root of the drive.

• The only way is to break down folder names manually or by making use of wildcards.
  • Is this 40GB volume on 'one spindle' (one physical drive), because if it is, thinking about making multiple reads off it at the same time (eg. different streams) is gping to be interesting.

1.  It will vastly increase drive wear

2.  It will slow down, a lot ....

• Never heard of 40 TB single disk volume - it should be on a raid array with all the striping and parity in place...

• Well yes, it should be, but I've learnt that if you don't ask and check, it'll come back, chase you round the room, corner you, then bite you.

... then come back later for seconds ...