Forum Discussion

yoz
Level 2
16 years ago

netbackup restore

Hi,

Maybe I have a silly question. Now I use NetBackup 6 for production servers backup. Backup is made on tape with a StorageTek L20 robotic library with 10 slots for tape.
I am planning disaster recovery/business continuity and I need to restore data in other location. My question is if in the other location I need a similar robot for restore (with more than one tape in it) or I can use a single tape drive with a single tape?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies

• to restore the netbackup data you will need to have the catalog in the remote site... restoring implicates that netbackup knows in which tape is the data... thats what catalog does.
  • it would depend on how much money you have to spend and how many tapes you use each night.

if you only used one tape a night, then you could just have one tape drive at DR and import that tape.  Takes a while to do the import, but if you only have one or two tapes it could be quicker then doing the catalog recovery.

based on your question  you can have a single tape drive on your dr site.

you can use this to import.

if you do the catalog recovery you will have more work to take out the robot and drives that are on your production site and add in your drive at the dr site.

• Hi

When you back up your data with NBU, the catalog is associated to the Master Server that performs those backups. The catalog just connect images to volumes. In a disaster, you got the catalog, reinstall the NBU and restore the catalog, at least with standalone tape drives.

Regards

Vicente   

•  A full backup ( will be used for DR) takes 3-4 LTO2 tapes (200GB each tape).
    The big problem is not with money, but I don’t want to do unnecessary spending.

Would be better if I move the current robot – StorageTek L20 – to DR site and use it for restores in the alternate location, and buy a new one for the main office ?
    If yes what would be a good choice (a robot wit 10-20 tape slots, 1 or 2 drives) ?

Best regards.