Forum Discussion

7 Replies

• You could write a shell script (if customers system is UNIX based) and that may work.

Otherwise you could give your user/s access to the Backup, Archive and Restore GUI, but this gives them access to restore from all systems.

Normally you would restrict restores only to administrators.

• I cannot see this being automated unless you are a very accomplished script writer.

Get your users to start using bprestore command.

Using bprestore from cmd (or script) to alternate folder requires setup of <RenameFile>. If more than one folder needs to be restored, <RestoreFileList> text file will also be needed. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH21196

Another thought:

Why not just teach them to use the GUI? Client-side GUI will be easiest.
    See NBU Backup, Archive, and Restore Getting Started Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3642

• Interactive scripts for users? That would be an intensive task to do from my opinion, not to mention keeping track of the request logs.

My suggestion: you can setup security for your Netbackup environment, either by NBAC or Java console auth.conf. This would allow you to create a "shared" user (or even more users) who can only access the GUI to perform restore-only task.

• Netbackupfan,

You need to ask yourself the question. Do you want users to be able to restore from any client backup to any system? This poses possible security conflicts.

• Here is a basic interactive restore script as requested.

At the moment, this does NOT cope with alternate location restores - I'll add this when I get time.

It does not really do any checking - for example, is the master server name entered valid etc ...  This is not really essential for basic functionality, I might add this in if I get time.

Run it like this ..  /tmp/filelist contains the list of files to restore in format :

/path/to/file1

/path/to/file2

Run it like this ...

./restore2.sh 04/16/2012

Tmp restore directory /tmp/sym/restore already exists
    Please enter value for MASTER
    womble
    Please enter value for SOURCE
    womble
    Please enter value for DESTINATION
    womble
    Please enter value for FILELIST
    /tmp/filelist

Here is the script ...

#!/usr/bin/ksh

#Define a few variables ...

DIR=/tmp/sym/restore   #DIR used for 'tmp' files
    LOG=$DIR/restore_log.txt
    FILELIST=$DIR/FILELIST
    MASTER=$DIR/MASTER
    SOURCE=$DIR/SOURCE
    DESTINATION=$DIR/DESTINATION
    STARTDATE=$1

#Create directory

create_dir () {
            if [[ -d $DIR ]]
                    then
                    echo "Tmp restore directory $DIR already exists"
            else
                    mkdir $DIR
                    echo "Created directory $DIR"
            fi
    }

collect_values () {

for i in MASTER SOURCE DESTINATION FILELIST
     do
      echo "Please enter value for $i"
      read VALUE
      echo $VALUE >$DIR/$i
     done
    }

run_restore () {

bprestore -s $STARTDATE -S $(cat $MASTER) -C $(cat $SOURCE) -D $(cat $DESTINATION) -L $LOG  -f $(cat $FILELIST)
    }

#Main script

create_dir
    collect_values
    run_restore