Forum Discussion

H_Sharma
Level 6
10 years ago

Netbackup Services.

Hello Experts,

I was changing global attributes in Master server properties. I came across 

"Some Settings may not take effect until daemons or services are restarted nor will they
take effect on the currently active jobs or utilities"

1:- What are this services that gets restarted?

2:- Is such change recommended while backup jobs are running?

3:- How much time would they take to reflect the changes?

• 1:- What are this services that gets restarted?

No services are automatically restarted.

Yes changing attributes is fine when jobs are running. Those jobs will be unaffected

Depends on what you change!

• Read the message again:

"Some Settings may not take effect until daemons or services are restarted nor will they

It does not say that NBU will restart services.
    You need to do this.

For Global attributes that are changed, best to wait until there are no avtive jobs and restart NBU cleanly from cmd with bpdown and bpup.

I have over the years learned a great command that sometimes work when certain parameters are changed (I cannot give a list)  -   bprdreq -rereadconfig

just try it - you may be lucky and changes will take effect without restart. 
    If not, restart NBU.

This command is discussed in this O-L-D forum post :
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/bprdreq-rereadconfig 
    (No guarantee that those URLs will still work, but Bob Stump has quoted enough from them to 'get the picture'.)

5 Replies

• 1:- What are this services that gets restarted?

No services are automatically restarted.

Yes changing attributes is fine when jobs are running. Those jobs will be unaffected

Depends on what you change!

• Thanks Revarooo,

1:- I could see every time whenever i change these settings there is an entry on the master server's evernt viewer it says "starting tldcd". is it related to it?

2:-Pls also let me know what names of some important services that get restarted?

• Are you asking these questions in preparation for an exam, because I will tell you now, you will never be asked 'what services are restarted' when making changes in the Host Properties.

As revarooo sayd - No services are automatically restarted, therefore, the messages you see for tldcd cannot be connected, that must be something else.

• Read the message again:

It does not say that NBU will restart services.
    You need to do this.

For Global attributes that are changed, best to wait until there are no avtive jobs and restart NBU cleanly from cmd with bpdown and bpup.

I have over the years learned a great command that sometimes work when certain parameters are changed (I cannot give a list)  -   bprdreq -rereadconfig

just try it - you may be lucky and changes will take effect without restart. 
    If not, restart NBU.

This command is discussed in this O-L-D forum post :
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/bprdreq-rereadconfig 
    (No guarantee that those URLs will still work, but Bob Stump has quoted enough from them to 'get the picture'.)

• Hi Martin,

U r right.... 70 % curosity and 30 % preparation. :) :) LOLs