Forum Discussion

HyuNN
Level 3
6 months ago

Oracle database restore from vmware type backup

Hello team,

I have NetBackup 10.0.0.1 running in my environment. I have a few virtual machines running Linux OS and hosting Oracle databases. These machines are backed up by a policy type Vmware (with enable SQL recovery and truncate logs selected). 

Please guide me on restore procedure if I require to restore only the database or the logs. I use the NBU Java Admin console for the restores. I understand files/folders can be restored by selecting policy type "vmware" and restore type "normal backups". If I have to restore the databases, what should be the selection?

Thank you in advance!

• this is not supported.
    You have to install netbackup client inside the VM and backup oracle using oracle policy. Or create a script that puts oracle in backup mode, do the vm backup and revert orcale from backup mode.

Read the manuals or ask for consultancy from veritas. Do not do anything you think that it is working. Do a training

5 Replies

• this is not supported.
    You have to install netbackup client inside the VM and backup oracle using oracle policy. Or create a script that puts oracle in backup mode, do the vm backup and revert orcale from backup mode.

Read the manuals or ask for consultancy from veritas. Do not do anything you think that it is working. Do a training

HyuNN
      Level 3

Thank you for the quick response! I thought so too. I found this configured on machines and wanted to ensure that my understanding is right.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the same setting can be used to MS-SQL databases (Windows servers where we can access BAR on the client server)?

• you can use VMware backup with MSSQL recovery enable. This will allow you to index the backup as SQL backup to0.
    Keep in your mind that this SQL backup will be an copy only backup. You can restore the full SQL but not the logs (no point in time restore).

If you need a point in time restore you have to do classic full and log SQL backup.

• Hey HyuNN don't have headache for something very simple! 

Go to Netbackup WebUI (https://yourmasterser/webui/login) and Workload/Microsoft SQL Server and just some click do you have all your instance protected, so you can do your snapshot, but like said above you don't have poin in time and DBA will be very angry about that...regards.

HyuNN
      Level 3

Thank you for the advice. I will highlight it to my organization.