Forum Discussion

DPO
Level 6
10 years ago

p2v conversion of solaris master server

I have a legacy solaris physical master server on SPARC hardware. We are thinking of decommissioning the physical server and covnert it to a virtual machine (for regulatory reasons). while doing p2v, i think we need to give a different IP and hostname to the master server ? If that is the case, will my master server be usable ? (I still want to browse the catalog)

• To summarise what others have said:-

- you cant p2v a sparc

- you can create an x86 solaris  vm and import your catalog to it from disk

- it works, I've done it (almost: I've gone from sparc to x86 physical: no reason to believe it would not work on vm)

- name needs to be same. For the VM you can disconnect the nic so its not on the network the same time as the original.

-think of it as disaster recovery. Beware if you want to actually recover data, as you dont have and cant have tape attached to VM.

Jim

8 Replies

• Hmmm, interesting. Define virtual machine please. Have you checked its supported?

#EDIT

After thinking about this a bit I think you are over complicating your life by trying this. You would still need to recover the catalog so not much saved here. Just install the Virtual with Solaris, install NBU + Patch, recover the catalog (from disk).

Since its Solaris you can give it the same name and ensure it resolves via hosts files (no nasty AD restrictions about duplicate names).

• Not sure you could take a SPARC install and make it virtual ...

• The VM can be x86 but I'm wondering whether my master servers become usable after conversion and if I have to recreate or recover catalog after converting it to a VM, then there is no point in doing p2v.

• BMR cannot be used to protect a master server. Media server and clients only.

You can use this TN to migrate master to Solaris x86 or Linux:

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between UNIX or Linux master servers as part of a hardware refresh
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

• Its called bare metal restore, not bare metal chnage your operating system. Solaris SPARC and x86 are tow different operating systems. So no, not possible to bmr p2v
  • Thanks Marianne, I need to give a try if that works.

Riaan : My requirement is to release physical master server (it is legacy and no longer in use) . But for regulatory/compliance purpose, I need to retain the catalog since we had many tapes that never expire. So I thought of p2v conversion.

• To summarise what others have said:-

- you cant p2v a sparc

- you can create an x86 solaris  vm and import your catalog to it from disk

- it works, I've done it (almost: I've gone from sparc to x86 physical: no reason to believe it would not work on vm)

- name needs to be same. For the VM you can disconnect the nic so its not on the network the same time as the original.

-think of it as disaster recovery. Beware if you want to actually recover data, as you dont have and cant have tape attached to VM.

Jim