Forum Discussion

StuLong
Level 3
9 years ago

Problem with AIR, SLP, and Vault

In my environment, I have a remote data center in which I have an SLP that performs a backup once a month, followed by a replication to my local data center.  My local data center has an SLP that per...
    9 years ago

Actually from NBU 6.5.5 onwards, there is an official way to let Vault choose from a non-primary copy for duplication. Check out:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000039996

This technote can be tricky to get it right at the first time, I had to try a few settings to make it work. See below... 

I have tested something similar to your scenario - so I made the SLP on this local master having a "Import -> Duplication to tape" , which all run fine. So MSDP copy is the PRIMARY, and tape copy becomes SECONDary. Now I would like to have vault using the second copy as the SOURCE, I create that touch file.

Since I want that touch file to work only for 1 vault profile (say ProfileA), I have to edit the file to insert the profile name.

Now in the vault selection, uncheck the "Attributes", check the "Location", "Include all" for those locations except the last "Volume Pool" which I want it to choose the image from, "include" only the volume pool where the SECONDary copy (tape) sits in, and there you go.

At first, I thought this approach has a con side, because instead of disk to tape I use tape to tape duplication, but come to think about performance of MSDP rehydration to tape, it actually makes sense to go this way :)