Forum Discussion

Ziggy1941
Level 4
9 years ago

Problem with synthetic's backup

I try to use synthetic backup for an ordinary windows file server.

I've created MS-Windows type policy.

Checked attributes "Collected true image restore information" and "with move detection".

Сhecked the presence of the flag "OptimizedImage" for storage server and deduplication pool (via "/nbdevquery -liststs" and "nbdevquery -listdp").

I've created for this policy the necessary Full backup and Cumulative backup schedules.

But when I try to created Full Synthetic backup schedule I can't to check "Synthetic backup" attribute (look to attached screenshot).

What am I doing wrong?nbu_screen1.jpg

7 Replies

• Hmmm... It's work without Accelerator enabled.

But I dont't understand, can I use Accelerator for regular Full and Diff backups or can not? If I create two policies one with accelerator and regular backup types and another without accelerator and with synthetic backup type. Will this work?

• You can create two policies if you wish and that will work but there is no point backing up the same data twice. Accelerator is like a Synthetic backups anyway, so there is no point in doing an Accelerator Backup with Synthetic! (although you can't do both in 1 policy anyway)

Mark Solutions did a nice little one line summary of these methods in a previous post:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/difference-between-synthetic-backup-optimised-synthetic-backup-and-virtual-synthetic-backup

1. Synthetic - done without network transfer and make a whole new image

2. Optimnised Synthetic - done without network transfer and synthesises and new image but adding de-dupe pointers only

3. NetBackup Accellerator - small amount of data transfer from the client and synthesises a full backup

• Hmmm...

For examle. I have the file storage about 2 Tb of data.

I'm planning to run Full backup at 1'st Sat of month. Then I'm planning to run Diff backups every Mon, Tue, Wen, Thu and Fri. Then synthetic backup at 2'nd, 3'd, 4'th and 5'th Sat of month.

And again Full backup at 1'st Sat of next month. Backup windows for this next Full backup with accelerator will be considerably less than the whithout accelerator.

And I can't understand how to combine it )