Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Configuring GRT based Exchange Backup using vmware backup policy

Hi All, I am using Netbackup 7.5.0.4 version with Master server running on AIX and Media server running on windows 2008. All versions are 7.5.0.4. I want to configure backup of Exchange using vmwar...
    12 years ago

Hi All,

I've implemented this,  and to get GRT restores to work from a v-sphere GRT backup for a DAG, you need to do the following:

• Install the NBU client on all MBX and CAS servers
    • Install NFS client on all MBX and CAS servers
    • Create an NBU service account and run all 3 NBU client services with it on every client (account@domain in "log on as"- not domain\account)
    • Install NFS server on your media servers
    • Install Symantec VSS provider in all the MBX and CAS servers (and reboot them - doesn't allways "take")
    • Create the DAR (distrib application restore) entries on master server properties and have ALT_NAME files for DAG name (No.Restrictions helps here)
    • Run a vmware backup with the collect exchange GRT checked (should have "grt restores are possible in the details of the backup and be exit status 0) - to a DSU/MSDP STU
    • Make sure you have host entries for CAS array name that points to a CAS server if you have a hardware load balancer
    • Restore from the master or a CAS server

The restores are carried out as normal exchange restores via the LAN - so the master must be able to see cas and mbx servers over the lan (through firewalls - via backup networks etc).

The image is mounted on a CAS server via NFS presented from the media server, and the NBU client know how to pull the exchange mails from the vsphere backup image (if GRT info was collected).

Also DNS must be really solid (short, long and reverse should all work) 

Images can be stored on tape (there is a box somewhere to check on master server properties to preserve the GRT info in the image), but can only be restored from DSU/MSDP and some OST Storage units (Quantum DXi - yes/ Data Domain - no)