Forum Discussion

jm-10
Level 3
10 months ago

Deduplication - impacts of data the is already compressed, encrypted or large numbers of tiny files.

Is this still a significant problem?  Had a quick look at the doco on deduplication and there is no mention of if. In the past vendors including Veritas/Symantec warned that data that is already com...
    10 months ago

Thanks, my concern was the lack of information was the lack of documentation implying that things had changed and I was unable to provide verification to people of the impacts of file size and data that was already compressed and/or encrypted. Something I have telling people since the days of Pure Disk when it was DIY and came on DVD.

I eventually found a reference in the Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide Release 8.3 and later.  In the most obvious place : Deduplication Guide Unix, Linux, Windows Release 10  there is no mention of Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide in providing additional information The dedupe guide only mentions performance being impacted by "small files"