Forum Discussion

jeorainc
Level 4
10 years ago

recommendation on backing up RHEL/Windows cluster under ESXi

HI All,

I am now working with a backup solution to backup RHEL and Windows cluster. I know nothing about how to backup clustering environment.

Master Server will be installed on Windows Server 2012, with latest Netbackup release.

I believe there are other documents mentioning the backup method for clusters, but if it's under ESXi, may I know if it's possible to backup all Guest OS vmdks using VMware policy, and leave the shared cluster disk to backup using other policy?

For restore then I will restore the guest OS first, followed by data disks. 

Any comment or advise? Thanks a lot!

• Hi,

Just place agents in all the guests. I've never heard of someone doing SAP on Sybase but you can just backup the Sybase DB using a Sybase policy. We can do the same for SAP on Oracle if people prefer to just use RMAN and not Backint.

12 Replies

• I don't know about the cluster you mentioned, but my environment will gonna have a MS-cluster and RHEL GPS cluster.. which I am not sure if it is a must to enable "bus sharing" feature under vmware (as I heard from colleague, it is a must). Just want to confirm if that's the case does it means that I cannot use VMware policy...

• The cluster I mention is sold by Symantec, and is the only clustering software (that i know of) that can get around the limitation.

You cannot use a vmware policy on guests with a shared / rdm lun. It is a VMware limitation

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006392