Forum Discussion

JustN
Level 4
9 years ago

Remote Media Server Timeout

Good Morning-

All of my media servers exist at different customer locations (mostly in the US, a few overseas) and are all part of the same WAN link, which has its moments. Sometimes things are great, sometimes, well, not so much.

What I am finding is, when this link is a little slow, even for a single media server, the entire Java console becomes very lagged and takes forever to open an element. Example: Today, when I click on Media, while one of the media servers is running a little slow, it takes forever to expand the items below it. I can watch in the command prompt window behind the Java console and see it sitting on a particular server for a long time, then finally says it was unsuccessful.

Is there a timeout settings somewhere I can change? It almost seems like NBU is waiting 5 minutes to hear back from a server, then moving on to the next one.

I believe this also brings up the topic of an offline media server -- what is the typical practice when a media server goes offline? Let's say the power goes out at a facility and the server goes down, this also makes the console operate extremely slow while NBU attempts to contact the host. This can happen at any time, depending on the site -- the only solution I could come up with so far is to ping the host via a crontab and when it fails, mark the host admin offline. Does this make any sense?

Thoughts?

JustN

• I've noticed two time out variables used by the Java Admin Console.

See NBJAVA_CORBA_DEFAULT_TIMEOUT and NBJAVA_CORBA_LONG_TIMEOUT - I'm looking at the v7.7.2 Admin Guide I right now, but I guess they'll also be documented in the admin guide for your version.  Maybe reducing these will result in a quicker drop/release of element sthat get stuck/hung/waiting in your instance of admin console when devices are no longer reachable.

16 Replies