Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Remove Tape in Library

Hi,

We're planning to remove full tape from the library to move offsite. I just wanna know and confirm if we can still put the old tape in the library for recovery.

Thank you

Tousif
    8 years ago

Hello,

Once the tape get expire it will consider new tape. Default it goes to scratch pool or NetBackup pool.

If any backup trigger or queue job after robot inventory  required new tape then there is possibility to take this this tapes for backup and overwrite the data. 

Solution:

Make sure there is no backup running during the inventory and till phase I import against that tape. In busy environment its not possible to keep the environment backup free.

So, I always recommend to create new pool e.g "restore pool" for this kind of tape and whenever run robot inventory, move that tapes to restore pool. Make sure that restore pool should not be part of any backup. 

Thanks & Regards

12 Replies

• Hello,

Yes you can use that old tape for recovery until unless not reuse of those tape after tape expiration in netbackup.
    Before sending tape offsite. I would recommend to note down the tape detail like media id and barcode.
    You can also create report of images are available on which media. It will be very helpful for you in future reference for restore purpose.

Thanks & Regards

technimdaxviii
      Level 5

Hi Sir,

Appreciate your input.

Yes you can use that old tape for recovery until unless not reuse of those tape after tape expiration in netbackup

As shown in the screenshot, we've 3 tapes which data will expired on May. You mean:

1. We can recover the data til its expiration date?

2. We can reuse the tape for backup when data expires?

Before sending tape offsite. I would recommend to note down the tape detail like media id and barcode.
      You can also create report of images are available on which media. It will be very helpful for you in future reference for restore purpose.

Noted on these Sir. Thank you

Tousif
        Level 6

Hello,

Lets understand about the Expiration in NetBackup.

There are two type of expiration in NetBackup.

1. Image expiration in NBU database.

2. Tape Expiration in NBU database.

1. Image expiration in NBU database: If image meet the expiration date the image clean job delete information from NetBackup. So after expiration we can not able to see the detail of that image in NetBackup.

2. Tape Expiration in NBU database: All images written on that tape expired in NetBackup database. Then netbackup remove the AssignTime in database and consider as new media in NetBackup. Once the tape use for new backup it overwrite the parent header of that tape and we lost all backup images reference on that tape.

1. We can recover the data til its expiration date?

Ans: If image has expired in catalog database only then yes we can perform phase I and phase II to rebuild the catalog info for that image in catalog using tape.

2.We can reuse the tape for backup when data expires?

Ans: Once the tape expired in netbackup database then we can reuse it.

Summary:

NetBackup never erase the data automatic it overwrite the data. For complete loss the data need to meet below all 3 condition. 

1. Image expiration in NetBackup database. (There is possibility to recover the data)

2. Tape expiration in NetBackup. (There is possibility to recover the data)

3. The tape reused or header info lost. (There is no possibility to recover the data using NetBackup)

Thanks & Regards,