Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Restore granular active directory netbackup 7.1

Hello

I'm trying to backup my Active Directory with Enable granular restore.

I've installed NFS on the media server and client, the netbackup client service with domain user administrator.

The policy backup selection are: system state, Shadow copy components and Active Directory Application Mode

But this error has ocurred:

26-ene-2012 9:48:52 - begin writing
26-ene-2012 9:51:12 - Info bpbrm (pid=4996) from client wad01_gestion: TRV - Starting granular backup processing for (System State\Active Directory). This may take a while...
26-ene-2012 9:51:13 - Info bpbrm (pid=4996) from client wad01_gestion: TRV - Granular processing failed!
26-ene-2012 9:51:13 - Error bpbrm (pid=4996) from client wad01_gestion: ERR - Error encountered while attempting to get additional files for System State:\
26-ene-2012 9:51:34 - Info bptm (pid=2568) waited for full buffer 2335 times, delayed 10894 times

• The Netbackup client name was not the same that hostname of active directory.

I've modified the name of the client and the backup finish with 0

9 Replies

• Firstly you do not need all of those.selections in the policy - the AD is part of the System State which in turn is part of the Shadow Copy Components So just out the Shadow Copy Components in the selection list Next set the NetBackup client service on the AD controller to use a full AD admin account as in needs rights to access all of AD Finally also ensure NFS is also installed on your Media Servers and services set as per the guide - plus the portmapper service set to autostart via.the command line The Exchange Admin guide go through everything needed in terms of NFS Hope this helps
  • I have all the requisites done and the result is the same.

Media Server is 2008 and client Active Directory is 2003 R2. It might be incompatibility?

Thank you

• So have you tried it with just Shadow Copy Components or just System State in the policy list - you cannot have all three in the policy

• I've only System State in the backup selection tab. The result is the same

02-feb-2012 11:46:54 - Info bpbrm (pid=3188) from client wad02_gestion: TRV - Starting granular backup processing for (System State\Active Directory). This may take a while...
    02-feb-2012 11:46:55 - Info bpbrm (pid=3188) from client wad02_gestion: TRV - Granular processing failed!
    02-feb-2012 11:46:56 - Error bpbrm (pid=3188) from client wad02_gestion: ERR - Error encountered while attempting to get additional files for System State:\

• It is an immediate failure here - make sure that the NetBackup Client Service on the AD controller is using an account that really does have full AD admin rights

Out of interest and in case it is a VSS issue (well know on WIndows 2003) does it work if you try the backup without selecting GRT - if it doesnt then it is down to a rights and / or VSS issue

• I've done the backup without select GRT and OK. The status is 0 now. Means that the rights are OK?

• Looks like the rights are OK in that case - check the BAR GUI to ensure that you can see the main AD Components (obviously you wont see any granular detail

So possibly an issue with your NFS setup on either the AD controller, the Media Server or both so double check that - things like setting the portmapper service to auto startup etc.

• 'backup without GRT'?

That does not mean that permissions are OK for GRT ....

Please review permissions and requirements starting on p. 637 of NBU Admin Guide for Windows, Volume I  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3653 .

• The Netbackup client name was not the same that hostname of active directory.

I've modified the name of the client and the backup finish with 0