Forum Discussion

new2nbu
Level 4
4 years ago

Restore SAP HANA DB Netbackup 8.2 and Studio

I'm testing an SAP HANA backup policy within Netbackup and have been reading the SAP HANA Admin guide but I'm hoping to get some clarity on some of the points in the guide.  I'm cold to SAP HANA and ...
    4 years ago

Yes, the missing link is NBU client on the HANA nodes and its configuration. The client knows which master server to browse (and the server knows if the client is authorised to browse its backups). Then in the NBU Client, there is a module for integration with the backint interface and the initSAP.utl which you customise for your instance during the installation.

So when you see backups in HANA studio, they're coming from the NBU layer which knows about them because you have configured the lookup parameters during the initial configuration. The information as to when the backups are performed and where they are stored in the NBU catalog on the master server. Because NBU handles data placement as a backend process, a client does not need to know where exactly the data is stored, as long as the storage unit is accessible to a media server and the client can talk to the media server, the data will be restored to the client.

new2nbu
    4 years ago

Awesome!  It's all starting to click - thank you so much.  Yes, I saw this article as well and glad to know that I'm understanding it lol.. Thanks again.