Forum Discussion

14 years ago

Simultaneous backup of VMs in a single CSV from multiple nodes

Hi,

I am wondering if any of you guys have tested backing up multiple VMs from one Clustered Shared Volume in Hyper-V 2008 R2? According to the NBU for Hyper-V guide:

• During the backup, the cluster-shared volume (CSV) enters the online state (“Backup in progress, Redirected access"). The cluster node that performs the backup becomes the owner of the CSV.
  • Multiple nodes cannot back up a CSV simultaneously. When a node backs up a virtual machine on a CSV, the attempt by another node to back up the same virtual machine fails.
  • You can use the CSV Timeout in Minutes option in the policy to adjust how long NetBackup waits for another backup of the same CSV to complete.
  • A single node containing two virtual machines can back up both machines simultaneously, even if they use the same CSV. As long as both virtual machines reside on the same node, simultaneous backups are allowed.

I have multiple nodes in a cluster and they host different VMs obviously. If i try to backup all the VMs from the cluster and it only has one CSV, will only one node be able to backup its VMs simultaneously and the other nodes wait until this node releases the CSV?

11 Replies