Forum Discussion

zzpack
Level 2
12 years ago

Skipping one part in grandfather, father, son.

I´m pretty new to NetBackup and backup.

In theory, what will happen in the following scenario?

One weekly (father) backup job has failed. The next day and the following working days, the daily (son) backup runs fine.
Then, the next weekend the weekly job runs fine.

Will I simply loose one whole week backup, when the monthly (grandfather) is run at the end of the month?

• I am assuming that the father is a full and the son is an incremental? If so then yes you have lost the one full backup but, provided that your retention is long enough you will still have everything you need as you will have the previous father job and all incremental backups isnce then If your daily or weekly retention is less than 2 weeks then you will be sshort of being able to do the full restore so best in that case to re-run the failed backup as soon as you are able to Hope this helps

1 Reply

• I am assuming that the father is a full and the son is an incremental? If so then yes you have lost the one full backup but, provided that your retention is long enough you will still have everything you need as you will have the previous father job and all incremental backups isnce then If your daily or weekly retention is less than 2 weeks then you will be sshort of being able to do the full restore so best in that case to re-run the failed backup as soon as you are able to Hope this helps