Forum Discussion

kproehl
Level 5
13 years ago

socket write failed(24) troubleshooting

I am getting socet write errors when running a windows fileserver backup on our windows NetBackup environment.  The full backup for this clinet runs just fine but the diff always fails with a socket write failed(24).  

Does anyone have some troubleshooting steps/ideas to resolve this issue.  I find it weird that the full runs fine and the diff does not.

• Sounds like a client read timeout

Try increasing this for the client and Media Servers Host Properties (1800 works well if it has a lot of files and takes a long time to create its list before getting underway with the backup)

Hope this helps

3 Replies

• Sounds like a client read timeout

Try increasing this for the client and Media Servers Host Properties (1800 works well if it has a lot of files and takes a long time to create its list before getting underway with the backup)

Hope this helps

• On the client under netbackup\logs\ create bpcd, bpfis and bpbkar directories - this is where you may get your clues

On the Media Server create a bpbrm directory as this process is handling the job

I think the timeouts will sort it out for you

• Windows OS version on the file server? And on the media server? 
    NBU version on client and media server?

A lot of socket-related errors are directly related to OS version.
    Quite a lot of network tuning tips in this excellent article: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tuning-windows-2003-and-2008-symantec-netbackup