Forum Discussion

Chris_W
Level 4
6 years ago

VxUpdate bulk client upgrade on CLI from master

We have hundreds of Netbackup clients to upgrade to 8.1.2 and would like to kick off a bulk job. Manually using the GUI to build a policy and manually picking all the clients will take forever. So I'...
    Chris_W
    6 years ago

Backline got back to me today. They have informed me that VxUpdate from the CLI cannot do multiple clients in one execution unless you are using the utility to reference an existing policy with clients defined in it - which in my estimation is utterly useless.

-host_filelist from command line can only do one client at a time. The Command Reference Guide does seem to me to imply you can, but basically they told me I'm reading it wrong, log a product enhancement because tough tacos, it can't do it.

Kruton, here you go:

# nbinstallcmd -operation_type install -package 8.1.2 -media_server mediaserver1 -host_filelist client1,client2
    USAGE: nbinstallcmd -policy [policy] -schedule [schedule]
    	   [-hosts [filename] | -host_filelist [client...]]
    	   [-master_server [name]]
           nbinstallcmd -i -policy [policy] -schedule [schedule]
    	   [-master_server [name]]
           nbinstallcmd -operation_type [precheck | stage | install]
    	   -package [item...]
    	   -media_server [name]
    	   [-host_filelist [client]]
    	   [-limit_jobs [max_concurrent_jobs]]
    	   [-master_server [name]]
    EXIT STATUS 144: invalid command usage
    #
    jnardello
    6 years ago

You might be overthinking the problem. The deployment policy is a policy, right ? And we all hate trying to bulk-update policies via the GUI....

bppolicynew mynewdeploymentpolicy
    bpplinfo mynewdeploymentpolicy -modify -pt Deployment

At this point I'd recommend going in and selecting the package and doing schedule creation through the GUI. I'm sure there's CLI binaries out there to do it but that's more hunting than I have time for right now. =)

When you're ready to build your deployment list :

bpplclients mynewdeploymentpolicy -add client2 Windows windows_x64
    bpplclients mynewdeploymentpolicy -add client4 rs6000 aix
    bpplclients mynewdeploymentpolicy -add client5 x64 debian
    bpplclients mynewdeploymentpolicy -add client6 x64 redhat

(or put the client list together using a for loop and a pre-generated input file, whatever works)

Then kick it off using the syntax you've already got. Post-upgrade the clients can be deleted and the policy emptied out prior to its next run.