Forum Discussion

12 years ago

symantec netbackup disk based image via the command line

1. symantec netbackup disk based image via the command line?

2. When would I, or would I not, use cross mount points?

3. symantec netbackup configure retention from command line ?

4.  What is the difference between the expiration date for a volume in NetBackup's media catalog and Media Manager's volume database?

5. In which location(path) the temp files located in Netbackup for Windows/Unix?

• /var is a separate mount point under /

If you do not allow cross mount points, it will not backup /var.  If you allow cross mount points, it will.

How do you find a disk based image via the command line and then delete it?

Look in the reports, some of them refer to disk images - one way

bpimagelist - then search for the disk based images in the FRAG lines - another way

Look directly in the disk STU at the actual backup images, the names of the files contain the backupid.

Use bpexpdate -backupid <backupid> to expire them.

Martin

16 Replies

•  

Do not use theCrossmountpoints attribute in policies on UNIX systems where
    you use the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive in the backup selection list.

Why this is so?
  • Because ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES will backup all the different mountpoints.

If you select cross all mount points it would backup up things twice.

Consider this simple example.

The server has just two filesystem

/var  (this is a separate mountpoint)

If I select cross all mountpoints and tell it to backup up /

NBU will start to backup /, when it gets to /var, it is allowed to cross into it and back it up - as you understand.

If you the use all local drives and cross mount points

First, NBU works out what the separate mount points are (this is a difference when using all local drives)

It works out it has to backup / and /var separately

NBU will backup / as before, when it gets to /var, which is listed under / -  because cross mount points is allowed, it will backup /var, but, it is backuping up /var as part of /

Once it finishes, it will backup the next filesystem in the list, which is /var

So, /var will have been backed up twice

Martin

•  

The server has just two filesystem

/var  (this is a separate mountpoint)

If I do not select cross all mountpoints and tell it to backup up /

Then in that case?

• You have these choices: 1) Backup / with 'cross mount points' 2) Backup ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES without 'cross mount points' All of this is explained in Admin Guide I. PLEASE start a new discussion if you still have doubts. You have marked this thread as SOLVED. This means your questions were answered, right?
  •  

In some cases, consider creating separate policies for the backups that cross mount
    points and those that do not. For example, in one policy, disable Cross mount
    points and include root (/) in the backup selection list. As a result, only the root
    file system is backed up, and not the file systems that are mounted on it. In another
    policy, enable Cross mount points and include root (/) in the backup selection
    list. As a result, all the data on the client is backed up.
    Note: NetBackup specifically excludes mapped directories even if FollowNFS and
    Cross mount points are enabled. To back up mapped directories, include the
    directories in the file list.
  • It would only back up / and not backup /var, as /var is a separate mountpoint.

Martin