Forum Discussion

ipmanyak
Level 5
10 years ago

TapeAlert Code: 0x16, Type: Critical, Flag: EXPIRED CLEANING MEDIA,

I get this message and understanded that my cleaning media tape is expired.  When I insert this cleaning tape  my tape drive  gives out a tape back.

1 - How I can use this cleaning tape once more  before I buy a new cleaning tape?

2 - What period of expire at the cleaning tape? I use Universal cleaning cartridge - HP LTO ULTRIUM, C7978A. Tape drive - HP Ultrium 3280.

3 - Where period of expire at the cleaning tape is set?

4 - What to do still  cleaning tape isn't bought?

• The cleaning media can clean the drive 50 times. This is true for or all LTO drives except LTO1 (25 cleanings) . The tape has an NFC chip inside and this chip count the mounts of the tape.

So if a cleaning tape is mounted 50 times, it is expired and can not used again.

If a tape drive is in "cleaning required" state, then it will not work unless you mount to it a non expired cleaning media.

Unfortunately, you have to buy a new cleaning tape, if you want to use that tape.

• A cleaning tape does not rewind like a data tape before it is ejected from the drive.

So, each time a cleaning tape is used, it will use a new piece on the tape. 
    When the end of the tape is reached, the tape driver will report the messages that you have seen.

There is nothing you can do to use this tape.
    Purchase new cleaning tape. And a spare.

*** EDIT ****

I have been corrected in a private discussion:

Rewind/no rewind of a cleaning tape depends on the drive type:

Eg. a 4mm/ DAT cleaning tape won't rewind - doesn't need to as the tape is completely encased in the cartridge with two reels.

An LTO will rewind as only one reel, otherwise it couldn't be ejected. However, I suspect (don't know for sure) that it 'forwards' to an 'unused' section of tape before it starts the cleaning cycle.

4 Replies

• The cleaning media can clean the drive 50 times. This is true for or all LTO drives except LTO1 (25 cleanings) . The tape has an NFC chip inside and this chip count the mounts of the tape.

So if a cleaning tape is mounted 50 times, it is expired and can not used again.

If a tape drive is in "cleaning required" state, then it will not work unless you mount to it a non expired cleaning media.

Unfortunately, you have to buy a new cleaning tape, if you want to use that tape.

• A cleaning tape does not rewind like a data tape before it is ejected from the drive.

So, each time a cleaning tape is used, it will use a new piece on the tape. 
    When the end of the tape is reached, the tape driver will report the messages that you have seen.

There is nothing you can do to use this tape.
    Purchase new cleaning tape. And a spare.

*** EDIT ****

I have been corrected in a private discussion:

Rewind/no rewind of a cleaning tape depends on the drive type:

Eg. a 4mm/ DAT cleaning tape won't rewind - doesn't need to as the tape is completely encased in the cartridge with two reels.

An LTO will rewind as only one reel, otherwise it couldn't be ejected. However, I suspect (don't know for sure) that it 'forwards' to an 'unused' section of tape before it starts the cleaning cycle.

• Almost.

A cleaning tape would be expected to give around  40 - 50 cleans - the exact number depends on how dirty the drive is, and the cleaning algorithm which is down to the drive manufacturer.

As StefanosM mentions, once the tape is used up, that's it, it cannot be used anymore, and a new tape will be required.

It's worth keeping a couple of spare cleaning tapes to hand, so you never run out.