Forum Discussion

14 years ago

TIR_INFO file disappearing after successful backup

Hi all,

I'm facing this problem on one of my NetBackup 6.5.5 clients called SEDNA . (O.S Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition SP2 as most of my Windows clients)

every day the incremental backup logs this error message :

29/03/2011 21:00:12 - begin writing
29/03/2011 21:03:30 - Warning bpbrm(pid=640) from client Sedna: WRN - old TIR info file 'C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\tir_info\D\NetBackup_file_info.Sedna' is missing. Backing up everything in 'D:'
29/03/2011 21:03:30 - Warning bpbrm(pid=640) from client Sedna: WRN - old TIR info file 'C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\tir_info\D\NetBackup_file_info.Sedna' is missing. Backing up everything in 'D:'
29/03/2011 21:20:23 - Warning bpbrm(pid=640) from client Sedna: WRN - can't open object: Shadow Copy Components:\System Service\Windows Management Instrumentation\WMI (BEDS 0xE0009421: No component files present on the snapshot.)
29/03/2011 21:20:23 - Warning bpbrm(pid=640) from client Sedna: WRN - can't open object: Shadow Copy Components:\System Service\Event Logs\Event Logs (BEDS 0xE0009421: No component files present on the snapshot.)
29/03/2011 21:20:46 - Warning bpbrm(pid=640) from client Sedna: WRN - old TIR info file 'C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\tir_info\C\NetBackup_file_info.Sedna' is missing. Backing up everything in 'C:'
29/03/2011 21:20:46 - Warning bpbrm(pid=640) from client Sedna: WRN - old TIR info file 'C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\tir_info\C\NetBackup_file_info.Sedna' is missing. Backing up everything in 'C:'
29/03/2011 21:39:05 - end writing; write time: 00:38:53

When looking nearer I can see that the tir_info file IS created during backup and I can see it growing. The last example of a full backup tir_info file generated is "NetBackup_file_info.new.Sedna.2452". But after the backup has finished his work, the file disappears and I can't find what process does this and why.

I created a script, launched every minute through the task manager, script that copies the tir_info file elsewhere on the disk. This gave me the latest version of the file, except what was written whithin the last minute before it was deleted. As this trick appears to me to create an inconsistent file I didn't dare to rename it "NetBackup_file_info.Sedna" and put it back in the relevant directory to abuse NetBackup.

Has anyone been facing this kind of problem ?

Thank you for any suggestion.

P.S. : I DID google for hours around forums and Symantec Support whith no luck

• Hello everybody here,

last night, according to technote 72361 which exposed an issue similar to mine, I tried a backup after having set the VSS maximal size to NO LIMIT for both drives, and IT WORKED. But this morning the VSS maximal size has been automatically reset to a fixed value, but greater than before (drive C: 300 Mo before 409 Mo mow, drive D: 512 Mo before, 768 Mo now). Looks like the previous values were wrongly calculated. This may be due to the virtualization (VMWARE) of the box, that did resize the drives but not resize the VSS max size accordingly.

So I'd like to add this information to technote 72361:

NetBackup created snapshots can become out of size range which leads to deletion of the TIR_INFO file which is considered as inconsistent by NetBackup.

Hope this helps someone else

Best regards and thanks to Andy

2 Replies

• Incremental 'True Image Restore' (TIR) backups with 'Move Detection' perform full backups when the last item backed up is an empty directory/folder
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124346

Maybe worth switching off move detection in policy if it's enabled?

(We ended up switching off TIR altogether as we found we never used it anyway!)

Also found:

Disk space:
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67249

Incrementals based on timestamp:
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/nb-655-differential-backup-run-full-backup

Maybe try recreating the policy from scratch (first backup will be full though)

• Hello everybody here,

last night, according to technote 72361 which exposed an issue similar to mine, I tried a backup after having set the VSS maximal size to NO LIMIT for both drives, and IT WORKED. But this morning the VSS maximal size has been automatically reset to a fixed value, but greater than before (drive C: 300 Mo before 409 Mo mow, drive D: 512 Mo before, 768 Mo now). Looks like the previous values were wrongly calculated. This may be due to the virtualization (VMWARE) of the box, that did resize the drives but not resize the VSS max size accordingly.

So I'd like to add this information to technote 72361:

NetBackup created snapshots can become out of size range which leads to deletion of the TIR_INFO file which is considered as inconsistent by NetBackup.

Hope this helps someone else

Best regards and thanks to Andy